Skip to main content

First Time Voters

It is important to be aware of all qualifications prior to registering to vote. If you registered online or by mail, you may have to show identification when you vote for the first time. Federal law governs the types of identification allowable to prove residency.  You may also have additional requirements if you are a new citizen registering for the first time.

If you did not provide one of the required types of identification at the time you registered, and you are voting in a federal election (presidential or congressional elections) an election worker will ask you to show one of the following:

  • driver's license or identification card of any state;
  • passport;
  • employee identification card;
  • identification card provided by a commercial establishment;
  • credit or debit card;
  • military identification card;
  • student identification card;
  • health club identification card;
  • insurance plan identification card; or
  • public housing identification card.

Any of the following documents, provided that the document includes the name and address of the individual presenting it, and is dated since the date of the last general election, unless the document is intended to be of a permanent nature such as a pardon or discharge including:

  • utility bill;
  • bank statement;
  • government check;
  • government paycheck;
  • document issued by a governmental agency;
  • sample ballot or other official elections document issued by a governmental, agency dated for the election in which the individual is providing it as proof, of residency or identity;
  • voter notification card issued by a governmental agency;
  • public housing identification card issued by a governmental agency;
  • lease or rental statement or agreement issued by a governmental agency;
  • student identification card issued by a governmental agency;
  • tuition statement or bill issued by a governmental agency;
  • insurance plan card or drug discount card issued by a governmental agency;
  • discharge certificates, pardons, or other official documents issued to the individual by a governmental agency in connection with the resolution of a criminal case, indictment, sentence, or other matter;
  • public transportation authority senior citizen and disabled discount cards issued by a governmental agency;
  • identification documents issued by governmental disability agencies;
  • identification documents issued by government homeless shelters and other government temporary or transitional facilities;
  • drug prescription issued by a government doctor or other governmental health care provider;
  • property tax statement issued by a governmental agency;
  • vehicle registration issued by a governmental agency; or
  • vehicle certificate of ownership issued by a governmental agency.